This limestone Barn, built by Swiss immigrant Adam Legler in 1864, was originally located at the corner of 95th and Quivira in Lenexa, Kansas, with the Santa Fe Trail passing through one corner of the Legler property near the barn. In 1983 it was reconstructed at its current location in Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park in Lenexa through the fundraising efforts of the Lenexa Historical Society. Today the barn is operated and maintained by the City of Lenexa and houses Lenexa’s History Museum and Archive. The Lenexa Historical Society aids the City by maintaining and making available its collection of historical artifacts, archival documents, and expertise to design and maintain exhibits, as well as develop local history themed public education programs.
Guided tours are provided by trained City staff and Lenexa Historical Society volunteers.
The mission of the Lenexa Historical Society and its Complex is to preserve, collect, exhibit, research, and educate the public about the history of Lenexa, Kansas from past to present.
Also in the complex are the Herb Garden, Wiedenmann Strang Line Wait Station, and the Frisco Train Depot Museum and Caboose.
The Lenexa Historical Society would like to extend a special thanks to the Legler family for always supporting us by participating in events, donating family artifacts and pictures, and sharing stories about the their family, the barn, and Lenexa.