Thank you to everyone who made it out to our first public meeting of 2020 on Monday. We were happy to see so many new and old faces – many of whom seemed passionate towards our goals.
To start the meeting, LHS president, Bruce Daniel, quickly went over what LHS has accomplished recently, what we are currently doing, and lastly what our current goals are. Then we finished off the meeting with a fantastic and educational presentation by John Forbes about the Shawnee Indians and how the tribes moved west.
Below you will find a summary of what Bruce talked about. If you have any questions for LHS on our upcoming projects and goals, or you would like to offer your help by volunteering, go to the Contact Us page to let us know.
What has LHS Done Recently?
- Completed a sustained membership drive
- Created new logo for all communications (as you see on this website)
- Built a modern, new website (this one!)
- Increased social media presence (Facebook & Twitter)
- Added a new computer & software, plus printing capabilities
What is LHS Doing Now?
- Contributing content for Town Talk issues
- Partnering with Sunflower & McAuliffe elementary schools
- Participating in local events: Lenexa BBQ Battle, Spinach Festival, Passport to Adventure, Enchanted Forest, and Sar-Ko Aglow.
- Adding an Old Town Walking Tour at the Chili Festival
- Creating the Beryl Hennigh League (Temp name – details TBA)
What are the Current LHS Goals?
- Redesign museum interior & displays
- Rehab/Restore Caboose, Waiting Station, & Train Depot
- Place interpretive signs throughout the LHS Complex
- Attract volunteers: Outreach, Education, Archiving, Architecture